Friday, January 30, 2009

It's Superbowl Time

Well, it's about that time again. Sometimes I think Superbowl Sunday should be considered a national holiday even though it's on Sunday anyway. How many people have ever gone to a Superbowl party even if you never even watched the game? Just like the BCS Championship game, the Superbowl is bitter-sweet for me because it means that football has ended for another year and won't be back until late July when teams report for training camp. The Monday after the Superbowl, I usually have a bit of a deflated feeling.

I really don't have a huge rooting interest this year. Of course being the Cowboys fan that I am, there are certain teams I just don't EVER root for. The Steelers are one of those teams. And on the other side is the Arizona Cardinals...I still have a hard time believing that one after they gave up 50 pts in a game this season and finished the season losing 4 of their final 6 games. But, since bad guys wear black (like the Steelers do), I will be rooting on the Cardinals although I'm not sure they have much of a chance. However, I didn't think the New Yawk Giants would beat New England last year so who knows what will happen.

I don't have a ton of thoughts on the big game but I know that for AZ to have any shot in the game their defense is going to have to continue to play at the high level they have in the playoffs. We know the Steelers have the #1 ranked defense, in every category, so they will naturally be playing at a high level. But since Pittsburgh's main offensive weapon, Hines Ward, will be about 75%, they really don't have much of anything, offensively that scares me. The Cardinals need to get pressure on Roethlisberger and hopefully that will translate into a turnover or two. That's the only way I think AZ stays in the game.

Even though AZ has a potent passing attack, I think Pittsburgh's defense will do a good enough job to contain AZ's offense. I don't think AZ's passing attack with Kurt Warner and the freakish Larry Fitzgerald will be stopped but I think they can be, and will be limited, turning the game into a defensive battle for the most part.

Unfortunately, in the end I think Pittsburgh will make a few more more plays than AZ and will emerge with their 6th Lombardi Trophy. Blah...I sure hope I'm wrong.

My prediction: Steelers 27, Arizon 20

For those that could care less about anything I've said so far (for example, my beautiful wife), here is the other reason people go to Superbowl parties...to watch the commercials. Below are some of the more memorable commercials run during the Superbowl. How many of these do you remember?


"Mean" Joe Greene Coke Commercial...




Terry Tate, Office Linebacker (my favorite)...




Jordan/Bird McD's Commercial...




The king of all Superbowl Commercials, the one that started it all - 1984 Macintosh...

1 comment:

1-Ton said...

Brooks, I'm ready for Superbowl time to be over. Surely you have an opinion on the Cowboys off-season to date...or something.